The Shimmer ECG expansion module provides connections and pre-amplification for two channel ECG signal acquisition
*Must be connected to the Shimmer platform to be operational
The Shimmer ECG (Electrocardiogram) records the pathway of electrical impulses through the heart muscle, and can be recorded on resting and ambulatory subjects, or during exercise to provide information on the heart’s response to physical exertion.
The three Lead, two channel Shimmer ECG connects to the internal connector pin on the Shimmer main board, and is enclosed within the Shimmer unit, with application to the skin via four conventional disposable electrodes. The Shimmer ECG uses low offset precision amplification with ~15pA of leakage for high impedance matching. The unique AC-coupled topology with clamping diodes provides excellent transient recovery.
See how the ECG module is connected to the Shimmer platform.
- Lead II is the ECG vector signal derived from the RA to LL vector, this is derived from channel 1 on the Shimmer ECG board
- Lead III is the ECG vector signal derived from the LA to LL vector, this is derived from channel 2 on the Shimmer ECG board
- Lead I is the ECG vector signal derived from the RA to LA vector, this is derived by subtracting Lead III from Lead II.
Features and Benefits
Real-time Data Collection, Display, and Storage
Lightweight, Wearable Unit
- Provides pre-amplification of ECG signal, converts to digital format, and can stream directly to a host device without the need for an intermediate receiving unit.
- Provides real-time physiological data collection and streaming to a host PC for real-time display and storage
- Real-time LabVIEW drivers and support library for application specific analysis and software interface development
- Designed to be wearable, the Shimmer ECG addresses challenges of mobility and provides a high-quality, scientifically reliable data as either a wireless transmitter or an autonomous data-logger
- Free from wired constraints, the Shimmer ECG provides a comfortable and distress free solution for athletes, children, elderly and patients with a disability
- The small size and lightweight (28g) design allows the unit to be worn with full range of motion during all types of tasks or exercises, without effecting their movement or motor pattern.
Adaptability (Wired vs. Wireless)
- The unique AC-coupled topology with clamping diodes provides excellent transient recovery
- Validated for use in biomedical-oriented research applications
- Uses four conventional disposable snap electrodes
- Received CE certification
- Meets EU consumer health and safety requirements for medical equipment
Standard Shimmer Functionality
- Offers greater ergonomic value than larger wired units
- Easily combine ECG data with Shimmer’s integrated accelerometer for greater contextual information
- Easily combine ECG data with the full range of Shimmer Biophysical, Kinematic and Ambient sensor modules
- MSP430 microcontroller (8mHZ, 16 Bit), Bluetooth – RN-42, 802.15.4 radio - TI CC2420, Integrated 2GB micro SD card, 450mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery, stylish enclosure, wearable and highly configurable to user/developer’s specific needs
- Optimised Ambulatory ECG provides quick recovery from movement artefacts
- Event Monitoring and Recording
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Premature Ventricular Contraction
- Heart Function Monitoring
- Abnormal Rhythm Detection and Alert
the Shimmer Wireless ECG Sensor Data Sheet