Shimmer is a small sensor platform well suited for wearable applications.
Shimmer is a low power wireless sensor platform that provides much of the functionality needed for wireless sensing. Designed for wearable sensing applications, the platform has an on-board microcontroller, wireless communication via Bluetooth or 802.15.4 low power radio, and the option of local storage to a micro SD card. The unit also has an integrated accelerometer for motion sensing, activity monitoring and inertia measurement applications.
The Shimmer unit acts as a baseboard for the full range of Shimmer wireless sensor modules. Shimmer can be connected to any one of a range of sensors such as Gyro, Magnetometer, ECG, EMG, GSR, GPS/Temperature, or Strain Gauge modules, whilst maintaining its small, lightweight, and wearable form factor.
Features and Benefits
- Small Size (53mm x 32mm x 25mm)
- Light Weight (baseboard and battery 15g; with enclosure 22g)
- Stylish, functional enclosure with wearable straps available
- Can be programmed to meet your specific application, with configurable sensitivity, sampling rate, transmission rate and frequency, communication protocols, and packet formats.
No Proprietary Software
- Shimmer platform easily integrates and interacts with existing systems and technologies
- Full access to all raw sensed data to interpret data specific to your application, product or service requirements
- Supporting developer applications including labVIEW, ShimmerConnect, and a full range of TinyOS firmware
MSP430 microcontroller (8mHZ, 16 Bit)
: Bluetooth – RN-42 , 802.15.4 radio - TI CC2420
Integrated 2GB microSD card slot
: 450mAh rechargeable Li-ion
- 3 Axis accelerometer – Freescale MMA7361
- Tilt/vibration switch
Shimmer is designed for wearable and remote sensing applications. The Shimmer unit is designed to be highly flexible and adaptable, easily integrating into existing systems and technologies. Shimmer is frequently used in activity monitoring, sport science, and intelligent building applications to name but a small few. Due to is flexibility, the Shimmer platform is generally application agnostic. Please see some of Shimmer’s current area’s of use:
- Sports Science
- Athlete Development
- Remote Patient Monitoring
- Ambient Sensing Solutions
- Environmental Sensing Solutions
- Market Research and Biofeedback
Download: Shimmer Spec Sheet